30 Quick Ways and Long-Term Strategies to Make Money Online
Many people want to make money online due to its many benefits and relatively low barrier to entry. Most online money-making methods only require a computer or mobile device and a solid internet connection.
These methods let you conduct business on your own schedule and from anywhere. You can make money while traveling the world or from the comfort of your home.
If you’re unsure which online money-making method is for you, we are here to help. This article explores 10 short-term and 25 long-term ways to make money online. For each method, we will include the necessary tools and skills, potential profit, and whom the method is best for.
Whether you’re looking for ways to generate some extra cash on the side or start a new business venture, we hope this article can help you decide how you’d like to earn money online.
op 10 Quick Ways for Making Money Online
Consider our top picks for the best ways to start making money online immediately:
- Sell used items. Offer items you already own, like used clothes, furniture, and appliances.
- Create and sell artwork. Sell goods with your designs printed on them and accept commissions to create custom artwork.
- Take online surveys. Make money while helping companies improve their products and services by sharing your opinions on survey websites.
- Test games and apps. Become one of the first to try out new games and apps and share your thoughts with the developers.
- Review websites. Improve the user experience of various websites by testing them and giving feedback.
- Become a mystery shopper. Get paid to shop at various businesses and share your experience to help companies improve customer service and satisfaction.
- Monetize school notes. Excel at your studies while earning extra income by sharing your organized notes with other students.
- Become a voice-over artist. Use your voice and make money immediately by narrating movie trailers, commercials, and audiobooks.
- Sell stock videos and photos. Enjoy passive income by taking high-quality photos and videos and selling them for people to use in their content.
- Compose and sell royalty-free music. Write songs and offer them to people interested in incorporating music into their videos or podcasts.
In the next section, we will discuss these methods of making money online in detail and offer tips to help you maximize profits.
1. Sell Used Items
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, second-hand items to sell
- Best for: anyone who owns a lot of items in relatively good condition
- Potential income: $10-$15/item
Selling or renting out items you have is a great way of earning money online and decluttering your space.
One of the most popular second-hand item categories is clothing. The global market value of the second-hand clothing industry is projected to reach $218 billion by 2026.
After cataloging items to sell, take high-quality product photos before listing them on online marketplaces. Consider making a website to host your own online store and turn this into a long-term business venture.
Here are some of the best online marketplaces to sell second-hand goods:
- Depop. A popular platform for selling new or pre-loved goods like apparel, accessories, and skincare products.
- Gadget Salvation. A website people use to buy and sell used electronics in decent condition.
- Reverb. The largest online marketplace for buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments.
2. Create and Sell Artwork
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, art supplies and skills
- Best for: digital or traditional artists
- Potential income: dozens to thousands of dollars – varies widely depending on the artist’s popularity and artwork type
Artists can make good money by selling digital or physical artworks and accepting commissions. Increase exposure and attract buyers by posting your art on online communities like ArtStation and DeviantArt.
Selling art through a social media account is also a great option. For example, create an Instagram account dedicated to your art and activate the Instagram Shopping feature.
Alternatively, get on Facebook Marketplace, join groups, and promote your art to potential customers.
You can also sell designs through your own website. Make a portfolio website to attract clients. Additionally, make more money by creating an online store to sell items bearing your designs.
ArtStation‘s art marketplace lets artists earn up to 95% from sales. On the other hand, you can earn 100% profit if you sell on your website or social media channels.
3. Take Online Surveys
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device
- Best for: people who love expressing their opinion
- Potential income: $0.25-$5/hour
Many people earn extra money by participating in company surveys about consumer behavior. The results of these surveys can help companies make informed decisions about their business.
Most survey sites offer low pay, and survey takers can only cash out after reaching a certain earnings threshold. Additionally, many surveys are limited to a specific demographic.
The following are some popular survey sites where you can make a few bucks in your spare time:
- Swagbucks. Earn points by watching videos, completing surveys, or playing games. Afterward, exchange them for gift cards or cash.
- Survey Junkie. Participate in market surveys and help companies improve their products and services.
- Harris Poll Online. Answer polls and enter the survey platform’s reward program.
- QuickRewards. Play games, watch videos, complete surveys and offers, or shop online for money. There is no earnings threshold, so you can cash out anytime.
Although survey websites are legitimate businesses, make sure to conduct proper research before taking a survey. Some people create fake survey sites to steal your information and perform identity theft. Look out for red flags like sites that ask for confidential information and promise large payouts.
4. Test Games and Apps
- Prerequisites: a computer or a mobile device that supports the game or app, familiarity with games and apps
- Best for: avid gamers and app users
- Potential income: $0.50-$7.25/hour
Video games occupy the largest segment of the global digital media market. As a result, there are many opportunities for making extra money online via testing apps and games.
A good example is Mistplay, an app that lets you earn loyalty points for gift cards by playing mobile games.
Another example is Givling, a website where people can play trivia games to win cash prizes.
There is also the Global Beta Test Network by Keywords Studios. The program pays people to play games before their release date. Players must be at least 18 years old and sign a non-disclosure agreement.
While these games and apps offer an easy way to make extra money, some criminals use them as a front to steal personal information. So, always do proper research and check reviews to avoid scams.
5. Review Websites
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device and basic knowledge of website functionality and design
- Best for: those with great communication skills and familiarity with websites
- Potential income: $4-$120/test
If you are interested in web design and development, consider testing websites. This method is also great for those looking to start a web design business, as it gives you an insight into how the industry works.
The tester receives project-based payment, and rates may differ across platforms and methods. For example, UserTesting offers $10/test on average and up to $30 or $60 for longer Live Tests.
Here are other platforms where you can test websites and earn passive income from them:
- Trymata. A service offering a mobile app and website usability testing through written surveys and recorded videos.
- Userbrain. A usability testing platform providing user experience testing for websites, applications, and software.
- Userlytics. A platform offering a wide range of user experience testing, including tests for websites, apps, prototypes, and virtual reality technology.
6. Become a Mystery Shopper
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, personal transport if you also want to take on offline jobs
- Best for: discreet and detail-oriented people
- Potential income: $10-$30/assignment
Many businesses and market research companies pay mystery shoppers to pose as regular customers, shop at various retail locations, and review the consumer experience. Remote work is also available, with tasks like evaluating eCommerce stores and call centers.
Some popular companies hiring mystery shoppers include:
- Secret Shopper. Choose from various mystery shopping opportunities, including online, on-the-phone, and on-site evaluations.
- BestMark. Evaluate customer service quality for companies as an independent contractor for benefits like money or free goods.
- Market Force. Visit local stores, evaluate the experience, and complete reports on the go with its Eyes:On mobile app.
Payments vary across companies. Shoppers typically receive free items, vouchers, and gift cards or earn around $10-$30 for each completed assignment. Be wary of companies who ask you to pay to become a mystery shopper or force you to take a certain number of jobs.
7. Monetize School Notes
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, well-structured school notes
- Best for: high school and college students
- Potential income: $2-$30/document
Selling school notes is an easy way for students to earn cash immediately. The notes should be complementary study documents that contain general but useful information, like flashcards, summaries, or study guides.
Do not commit academic misconduct or plagiarism when selling school notes. For example, avoid uploading photos of upcoming tests or distributing copyrighted material.
Although you can sell both digital and handwritten notes, the former is easier to structure and read.
Here are some popular platforms for selling school notes:
- Stuvia. This popular study material marketplace takes a 30% commission for every sale.
- Docmerit. This platform lets you earn up to 85% of your earnings per sale.
- NoteXchange. This site lets people sell school notes for $5-$40+ and earn a 100% commission for every sale if they are affiliates.
8. Become a Voice-Over Artist
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, voice recording software and hardware, great reading and speaking skills
- Best for: people with clear pronunciation and acting skills
- Potential income: $15-$45/hour
Voice-over talents are always in demand as companies need people to narrate their content. Examples include trailers, audio guides, commercials, audiobooks, and demonstration videos.
Pay varies depending on experience, project type, and script length. The average salary of voice-over artists in the United States is $30/hour.
You can get started by finding voice-over jobs on freelance websites like Upwork.
You can also sign up for Voices or ACX. These platforms will connect you to clients needing voice-over talents and authors looking for audiobook narrators.
To become a good voice-over talent, develop versatility as well as consistent and clear articulation. Practice sample scripts to find a niche that suits you.
Don’t forget to invest in good voice recording hardware and software. Make sure to record in an ideal environment with minimal background noise.
9. Sell Stock Videos and Photos
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, a camera, high-quality lenses
- Best for: aspiring or professional photographers and videographers
- Potential income: $0.02-$0.45/image or $20-$40/video
Selling stock photos and videos is a great way to generate passive income, especially for those passionate about photography and videography. Many companies use stock content on their websites and marketing materials.
To sell your photos and videos, try listing your digital downloads on different online marketplaces. Alternatively, make a photography website and attract buyers there.
Here are some of the most popular websites for selling stock photos and videos:
- Shutterstock. Provides several earning tiers depending on the annual number of photo and video licenses.
- Getty Images. Offers a royalty rate of 15-45% based on contributor exclusivity and content type.
- VideoHive. Works with many contributors to offer a large library of stock videos. This Envato marketplace pays based on sales and whether you also sell your works elsewhere.
10. Compose and Sell Royalty-Free Music
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device with music production software, headphones, speakers, songwriting skills
- Best for: aspiring or professional composers and songwriters
- Potential income: $3-$25/sale
Creating and selling royalty-free music can be a great way to make extra cash for musically inclined people. Composing and producing tools are more accessible than ever these days, and this can be a fun way to explore your creativity while making money.
Stock or royalty-free music is typically created for mass use in other media content, such as commercials, films, or YouTube videos. Some have lyrics, but they are mostly instrumentals.
The following are some of the best websites to sell royalty-free music:
- AudioJungle. An Envato Market platform that gives you earnings based on contributor exclusivity and license type.
- Pond5. A media marketplace that offers a 35% royalty rate for music and sound effect creators.
- Epidemic Sound. A company working with music creators in the United States and Sweden offering a 50% royalty rate.
Top 25 Long-Term Strategies on How to Make Money Online
Unlike the various quick cash methods, the online money-making ideas in this section may require more time and money. In turn, these long-term business ventures can earn you a lot of money and even become your livelihood.
Note that the potential income ranges we included only serve as a rough estimate based on research.
1. Set up a Dropshipping Store
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, an eCommerce platform, product suppliers
- Best for: those who want to start an online business without managing inventory or shipping
- Potential income: $1,000-$2,000/month
Dropshipping lets people sell products without managing inventory or shipping. This method enlists suppliers to fulfill orders.
An important step in starting a dropshipping store is picking the right eCommerce platform.
We recommend setting up your own website using a CMS like WordPress and integrating WooCommerce to set up the store. Make sure to pick the best hosting plan for your chosen platform.
You must work with good suppliers to run a successful dropshipping business. Here are some websites for finding suppliers:
- Modalyst. Find suppliers from all over the globe and use its profit calculator for easy product pricing.
- Sprocket. Connect with global suppliers and integrate seamlessly with platforms like Shopify and WooCommerce.
- SaleHoo. Work with numerous vetted suppliers and connect with other dropshippers via its community forum.
2. Create an eCommerce Site
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, an eCommerce platform, digital or physical products
- Best for: aspiring entrepreneurs
- Potential income: $1,000-$100,000/month
Online stores have many advantages compared to offline ones, including wider market reach and lower startup costs.
If you focus on a specific niche, your eCommerce business will stand a better chance against rivals. Stay updated on currently trending products to decide which items to sell.
Create a business plan and set up essential elements like inventory, shipping, licenses, and permits. Don’t forget to pick an eCommerce platform that suits your needs.
The following are some of the best eCommerce platforms for creating an online store:
- Hostinger Website Builder. This easy-to-use site builder offers AI tools to help users with business and website creation tasks.
- WooCommerce. This plugin provides eCommerce tools to turn WordPress websites into full-fledged online stores.
- PrestaShop. This software offers many eCommerce tools, such as product management and data analysis.
If you need inspiration, some great examples of online businesses are Softy and Climbingvan.
3. Write and Monetize Blog Posts
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, a blogging platform
- Best for: people who have a niche passion and love writing about it
- Potential income: $200-$100,000/month
If you are passionate about writing, try starting a blog.
People create a blog for various reasons – to share opinions and experiences, market products or services, or educate people on a certain topic.
For example, The Book Satchel is a blog focusing on book reviews and recommendations. Other popular blog ideas include travel, food, health, and lifestyle.
Picking a specific niche will increase your chances of success. For instance, instead of creating a generic food blog, try focusing on one type of cuisine.
There are numerous methods to make money blogging, including selling ad spaces, becoming an affiliate, accepting brand sponsorships, and selling products.
Although blogging can be a lucrative business, it takes time for your blog to become profitable. To quicken the process, be consistent, maintain high quality, and apply content marketing techniques.
4. Sign Up for Affiliate Networks
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, a significant following on one or multiple platforms
- Best for: people with an established audience on social media or other content-based platforms
- Potential income: $100-$100,000/month
If you have an established audience, consider affiliate marketing. This involves promoting a company’s products or services through your content. You will receive a commission whenever someone clicks on the affiliate link and purchases the item or service.
Sign up for programs relevant to your niche to maintain credibility and audience interest. For example, the Hostinger Affiliate Program could be a great fit for those in the web development or eCommerce industry.
Affiliate income varies widely depending on the number of readers and affiliate programs.
Check out some of the most lucrative affiliate programs:
- Amazon Associates. A popular program providing up to 20% fixed commission income rates.
- BeRush. A great program offering a $200 commission for every Semrush subscription sale.
- eBay Partner Network. A program offering a 1-4% commission rate, depending on the product category.
If you run a WordPress website, try using AffiliateWP. This excellent affiliate management plugin has many useful tools like reliable tracking, fraud detection, and detailed reports.
5. Build a Membership Website
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, exclusive content to offer to members
- Best for: people who want to offer niche content and build an exclusive community
- Potential income: $10-$10,000/month
Another great money-making method is building a membership website. This is a site where you offer exclusive content for your members. Offer multiple subscription plans so each member can decide the rewards each tier gets.
You can offer exclusive tips, posts, or videos. For example, 40 Aprons offers members-only recipes, eBooks, meal plans, and an ad-free site browsing experience. Make sure to tailor the content according to your chosen niche and listen to feedback from members.
This business model is great for the long term. It can provide a steady income stream, as users must renew their membership regularly to enjoy the exclusive rewards. In addition, it helps build a loyal community to whom you can market products or services.
Use WordPress membership plugins to create your website with ease. They offer features to help you create membership plans, generate business reports, and restrict content according to tiers.
6. Offer Advertising Space
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, an established website of your own
- Best for: website owners who want to make money while filling up the blank sections on their sites
- Potential income: $50-$1,000/month
Featuring ads on the blank spaces of your site is a great way to generate passive income. The amount of revenue is determined by the number of clicks and impressions the ads get.
Advertisers want to ensure the site featuring their ads is reputable and relevant to their niche. Therefore, create high-quality content that provides value and performs well on SERPs. In addition, use a heatmap tool to determine the best ad placements to optimize conversions and user experience.
A popular advertising network you can work with is Google AdSense. Simply sign up and embed the ad code on your site. For WordPress users, check out our tutorial on adding AdSense to WordPress.
Other great advertising networks to check out include:
- PropellerAds. Catch people’s attention using five different ad formats – push, pop-under, in-page push, interstitial, and direct click.
- Adcash. Boost revenue with its anti-ad blocker feature and worldwide reach.
- Media.net. Get exclusive access to the Yahoo! Bing Network search demand and feature relevant user intent-based ads.
7. Make Online Courses
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, expertise in your chosen topic
- Best for: people who want to make money while spreading their knowledge
- Potential income: $1,000-$10,000/month
If you are knowledgeable in a certain field and like creating learning materials, try selling online courses on an eLearning platform or your own website.
Going the eLearning platform route is easier, but creating an eLearning website offers more flexibility and control regarding course formats and monetization.
You can offer courses in various formats, including eBooks, presentations, podcasts, and videos. Sell them as digital products or subscription rewards.
To easily build an eLearning site, use a WordPress LMS plugin. Business, health, and personal development are some of the most sought-after online course topics.
If you prefer selling courses on eLearning platforms, consider the following sites:
- Skillshare. Offers thousands of courses on creative endeavors and personal development.
- Udemy. Provides over 200,000 video courses on various topics, ranging from IT to health and fitness.
- Podia. Offers users the ability to build websites, sell digital courses and products, and create membership-based communities.
8. Become an Online Tutor
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, a webcam, a web conferencing app, expertise in your chosen topic
- Best for: people who love teaching
- Potential income: $2,200-$6,800/month
If you want to share your knowledge but prefer a more direct way of teaching, consider online tutoring. This lets you teach students from all over the world.
Choose a subject you’re well-versed in. As a tutor, you must provide learning materials and be ready to answer student questions. Additionally, offer constructive feedback to help students improve and track their learning progress.
Some popular tutoring topics include chemistry, math, and foreign languages. Improve your credibility and rates by getting certifications in your chosen subject.
Market your services through your own website or an online tutoring platform. Here are some popular tutoring sites to consider:
- TutorMe. Tutor people online via live audio or video chat. Deliver detailed feedback on student papers and essays.
- Skooli. Set your own teaching schedule and accept instant student help requests when online.
- Preply. Teach foreign languages to students worldwide and set your own rate and schedule.
9. Start a Travel Consulting Business
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, travel experience, and extensive knowledge of chosen destinations
- Best for: well-traveled individuals or knowledgeable locals
- Potential income: $3,700-$8,100/month
If you enjoy traveling, monetize your passion by working as a travel consultant. Design trip itineraries and share your favorite spots and destinations, all while working remotely with a flexible schedule.
Take advantage of useful travel management software to create the best travel experiences for your customers. Broaden your knowledge by taking courses on hospitality, tourism, and foreign languages to become a better travel consultant.
Don’t forget to do proper research to provide customers with essential information like pricing, weather, customs, accommodation, and means of travel. Ask questions to get to know your customers better so you can tailor the trip to their needs.
Conduct business and market your services through your own website. Look to established travel consulting businesses like Southern Crossings and Spain Less Traveled for inspiration.
Alternatively, offer trip designing services on sites like Reco or become a local travel guide by signing up as a host on Withlocals.
10. Offer Graphic Design Services
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, graphic design skills and software
- Best for: people passionate about digital art and design
- Potential income: $2,300-$6,400/month
Becoming a graphic designer is an excellent way to make money online for creatives passionate about art and design.
Graphic designers use design software like Adobe Photoshop and Affinity Designer to create their work. They often produce designs for marketing materials like logos, posters, and advertisements.
First, graphic designers will meet with clients to discuss the desired design. After creating the design according to the customer’s request, they will typically request feedback to see if additional revisions are necessary.
If you are interested in this money-making method, check out some of the best sites for finding graphic design jobs:
- Dribbble. Promote your artwork, connect with fellow designers, and work with clients through various freelance projects or opportunities listed on its job board.
- 99designs. Earn money by working directly with clients worldwide or entering a Design Contest.
- DesignCrowd. Work as a freelance graphic designer and provide clients with designs for almost any product, from websites to book covers.
11. Develop Websites for a Living
- Prerequisites: a computer, web development skills and software
- Best for: people interested in programming and web development
- Potential income: $3,500-$9,300/month
The average base salary of a freelance web developer is around $82,000/year. Moreover, the employment of digital designers and web developers is projected to grow by 23% between 2021 and 2031. Due to the high demand for these jobs, now is a great time to jump into the industry.
The first step of becoming a web developer is to choose a web development specialization. Doing so will save you time, money, and energy and help you stand out among competitors.
After choosing a specialization to pursue, learn how to code. Plenty of websites and courses can help you get started:
- BitDegree. Offers beginner and advanced courses, as well as scholarship opportunities.
- Coursera. Partners with over 200 universities and companies to provide certified courses and specializations.
- Codecademy. Perfect for beginners who want short and interactive courses to complete in a few hours.
If you want to join the web development business, consider participating in a coding boot camp like Flatiron School or Rithm School to enhance career advancement opportunities.
12. Build an App
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device as well as skills and tools in programming, UI/UX design, back-end computing, and cross-platform app development
- Best for: people with a passion for app development
- Potential income: $4,100-$9,100/month
Creating an app is a great way to profit from rapid mobile digitalization. Create paid apps or sell them to companies. Alternatively, launch a free app and make money via in-app purchases and ads.
It is a good side hustle and an excellent way to hone your coding skills. For those with little to no programming experience, there are many beginner-friendly mobile app builders:
- Appy Pie. This app builder employs a simple three-step process to help you create an app with a great user experience. The pricing ranges from $16–$60/app/month.
- AppInstitute. An app builder for busy small business owners that makes it easy to create mobile apps without coding knowledge. Pricing ranges from $67-$280/month.
- Mobincube. An intuitive app builder for launching an app in four easy steps. It offers a free plan and premium plans ranging from €35.88-€1,199.88/year.
Don’t forget to conduct research before creating your app. Once finished, submit your app to the App Store or Google Play Store and await approval. Finally, market your app and monetize it.
13. Become a Data Entry Clerk
- Prerequisites: a computer, proficiency in Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Best for: detail-oriented people who can type quickly and concentrate for long periods
- Potential income: $1,500-$6,100/month
A data entry clerk is responsible for inputting data from various sources into a computer program. Data examples include addresses, financial data, or survey responses.
Besides entering new information into a digital database, data clerks are also expected to regularly update data, conduct database backup and security tasks, and create reports.
They must track and organize databases and other relevant documents, ensuring that all data can be easily retrieved when necessary.
If you are interested in working as a full-time data entry clerk, try applying for a job at some of the best companies offering data entry and processing services:
- TechSpeed. Offers various data-related outsourcing services like data mining, entry, and processing.
- Capital Typing. Connects companies to people who can perform business operations tasks like transcription, data entry, market research, and language translation.
- Workers. Provides multilingual data entry, content moderation, and data annotation services for various companies.
14. Work as a Virtual Assistant
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, task and project management software, as well as skills in communication, bookkeeping, and organization
- Best for: detail-oriented and organized people with great time management
- Potential income: $1,300-$9,000/month
A virtual assistant provides supporting services for individual clients or businesses. If you enjoy organizing, planning, or doing administrative tasks, becoming a virtual assistant is a great way to make money online.
Many virtual assistants are independent contractors, so they are free to work remotely. Moreover, the startup costs are minimal, and you can earn an average annual pay of around $59,000/year.
Some skills to master as a virtual assistant include communication, time management, and writing.
Knowing how to operate online tools and software for bookkeeping and project management is also essential. Virtual assistants often use multiple platforms, including Google Drive, QuickBooks, and Asana.
The easiest way to market your services is through online platforms like Fiverr and Freelancer. Alternatively, join a virtual assistant company and make money by working with verified clients.
15. Become a Customer Service Representative
- Prerequisites: a computer, communication and time management skills, and great adaptability
- Best for patient, communicative, and empathetic people who are well-versed in the products or services offered
- Potential income: $2,600-$6,400/month
Customer service representatives are people in charge of addressing customer requests and concerns through phone, chat, or face-to-face communication.
These may include taking customer orders, processing complaints or product returns, and answering product or service-related questions.
Representatives often work full-time in designated shifts, as the customer service department usually has to be available around the clock.
They also typically receive training beforehand to familiarize themselves with the company’s products and services and the tools they will use. These tools may include help desk software like Zendesk and a CRM system like Salesforce.
Working in customer service is a great way to develop and improve your problem-solving and people skills. You have to be friendly, patient, professional, and able to quickly and efficiently resolve problems.
Businesses are constantly looking for customer service representatives. Search for vacancies on popular job board websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and ZipRecruiter.
16. Work as a Digital Content Writer
- Prerequisites: a computer, writing and research skills, great grammar and vocabulary, basic SEO knowledge
- Best for: people who are passionate about writing
- Potential income: $2,000-$7,800/month
For those with a knack for writing, becoming a content writer is one of the best ways to earn money online. Content writing makes for a profitable side gig or full-time remote work with an average pay of around $55,000/year.
In addition to writing skills, this career path may require SEO knowledge. Knowing the basics of HTML and CSS can also help, especially when working with a CMS like WordPress.
Try your luck on job boards like Fiverr and Freelancer to work as a freelance writer. Alternatively, join a content writing agency to get steady work opportunities. Many content writers also have websites to showcase their writing skills and work portfolios.
Some of the best content writing agencies to work with are:
- Verblio. Provides all kinds of content, from blog posts to press releases.
- Express Writers. Hires writers and editors to work with a massive network of clients worldwide.
- Textbroker. Offers gigs to write unique custom content with free registration, flexible time management, and weekly payments for US citizens.
17. Write and Publish Paid Newsletters
- Prerequisites: a computer, writing and copywriting skills, excellent grammar and vocabulary
- Best for: writers with great attention to detail and understanding of the target audience
- Potential income: $5-$15/subscriber/month
Another great business idea for writers is to create and publish email newsletters. You can express your thoughts and opinions directly to your email subscribers.
Unlike publishing articles for established publications, running a newsletter means owning your intellectual property and having full editorial control over it. Your writing belongs to you – not the platform you’re writing for.
To run a successful newsletter publication, provide unique content that provides value to your readers. Stay consistent and stick to your publishing schedule.
In addition, put effort into building trust and rapport with your email subscribers. Encourage reader engagement and ask for their feedback.
If this money-making method appeals to you, check out some of the best platforms for creating paid newsletters:
- Substack. Lets writers and podcasters publish directly to their audience and keep 90% of the subscription revenue.
- Ghost. Offers premium newsletter publishing services in return for a monthly fee of $9-$199/month.
- Buttondown. Provides an easy way for people to produce newsletters with its minimalist interface for a fee of $0-$79/month.
18. Set up a Digital Marketing Agency
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, skills and tools in content, email, and social media marketing, data analysis, lead enrichment, SEO, and SEM
- Best for: creative, communicative, and adaptable individuals with a passion for marketing
- Potential income: $2,600-$7,400/month
Create a digital marketing agency and offer your services as a consultant. Marketing consultants help business owners attract their target audiences and improve sales performance.
Provide SEO services to help sites rank higher on search engine results pages (SERPs), receive more traffic, and generate leads.
You can also offer social media management services by planning and executing marketing plans on various social platforms. These activities encourage better audience interaction and brand recognition.
An excellent social media manager keeps up with trends, identifies a brand’s target audience, and tracks social media data for better results.
Many people use WordPress to build their sites, so familiarizing yourself with WordPress SEO techniques will help you become a better consultant.
Additionally, consider getting an SEO certificate from a reputable platform like Semrush Academy. Or, take a Google Analytics Academy course to deepen your knowledge.
19. Write and Release eBooks
- Prerequisites: a computer, excellent grammar, and vocabulary, great skills in writing, editing, formatting, and graphic design
- Best for aspiring writers
- Potential income: $1,800-$12,000/month
The rise of self-publishing has made it possible for anyone to publish eBooks. It’s an excellent option for beginners since there are no printing or shipping costs.
To publish an eBook, submit your writing to a self-publishing platform. There are two types of publishing companies – retailers and aggregators. Retailers sell books directly to customers, whereas aggregators distribute them to retailers at additional costs.
The revenue you generate from eBooks will depend on the publishing company’s royalty policy. For example, Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing pays up to 70% royalties for books sold on the Kindle store.
Aside from Amazon, here are other eBook publishers and their royalty rates:
- Barnes & Noble Press. Provides a 70% royalty rate for eBook sales.
- Kobo Writing Life. Gives authors 70% of the book’s list price if the book costs at least $2.99.
- Apple Books for Authors. Offers writers 70% royalties for eBook sales regardless of the cost.
Before self-publishing, an eBook, don’t forget to thoroughly check for formatting issues, typos, and grammatical errors.
20. Become a Podcaster
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, tools and skills in audio recording and editing, great speaking and communication skills
- Best for: talkative and entertaining people
- Potential income: $1,400-$13,000/month
Starting a podcast is one of the most profitable online business ideas, with the number of global podcast listeners projected to reach around 500 million listeners by 2024.
A computer or mobile device with a built-in microphone is enough to start a podcast. However, we recommend investing in proper audio equipment and software to improve recording quality.
All you need is a topic to talk about and engaging communication skills. You can create a podcast on any topic, from financial tips to true crime.
After recording and editing the first few episodes, find a podcast hosting platform to publish them online. Some of the best ones are Buzzsprout, Resonate, and Anchor.
Most podcasts primarily make money from sponsorships. Once your podcast has attracted a following, consider signing up for production agencies like Podfly or Pacific Content to grow your brand, content quality, and audience reach.
Make sure to promote the podcast on social media and other platforms, like on your website. A podcast theme and an audio player can help boost the podcast’s brand identity and discoverability.
21. Make Money as an Influencer
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, great communication and networking skills, basic SEO knowledge, skills in taking and editing photos and videos
- Best for: entertaining and persuasive people who are knowledgeable or passionate about a certain niche
- Potential income: $1,400-$9,200/month
The continuous rise of social media has made influencer marketing a popular choice to make money online.
Like affiliate marketing, companies pay influencers to market their products and services. The main difference is influencers aim to impact people’s buying decisions instead of simply bringing leads. How much money influencers make significantly depends on their following.
The most critical aspects of being a profitable influencer are cultivating a personal brand and becoming an authoritative voice within your niche. This will help attract sponsors and advertisers.
Although many influencers are on Instagram, you can take advantage of other platforms like YouTube and Twitter to build a following and create different types of content.
Learn which content types work best for each platform. For example, TikTok is excellent for people who want to create short videos, while YouTube is more suitable for longer videos.
22. Become a YouTuber
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, YouTube SEO knowledge, excellent networking and communication skills, and skills and tools for video production, editing, and graphic design
- Best for: people who are comfortable in front of the camera and have a passion for making videos
- Potential income: $1,100-$11,200/month
There are multiple ways to earn money as a YouTuber. The first step is signing up for the YouTube Partner Program once your channel is eligible for monetization. To get monetized, your channel should have at least 1,000 subscribers and no active Community Guidelines strikes.
The most popular way to make money is through advertising revenue. Alternative monetization methods include channel memberships, Super Chat, Super Stickers, merch, sponsorships, and YouTube BrandConnect.
If your channel is not yet eligible for monetization, try using third-party membership platforms such as Patreon or Contribee. These sites let you collect one-time or recurring fees from your subscribers.
YouTube hosts many types of niche video content, from gaming reactions to daily vlogs. For instance, our YouTube channel Hostinger Academy provides website-related video tutorials.
To grow your channel, publish content consistently to generate views and build an audience base. Investing in a good camera and editing software can improve video quality and attract more viewers.
23. Stream Video Games for a Live Audience
- Prerequisites: a gaming computer, live streaming hardware and software, video games, streaming platform SEO knowledge, networking and public speaking skills
- Best for: people who are comfortable with interacting with a live audience
- Potential income: $1,400-$11,500/month
Streaming has taken off in the past few years, generating an average of over 2 million daily viewers on Twitch alone.
It’s a great money-making idea if you’re good at playing games and enjoy being in front of a camera. You can stream for a few hours at a time and interact with your audience to foster a sense of community.
After establishing a significant following, connect with other video game streamers and extend an invitation to stream together. Collaborations often bring in a large audience, as fans of both streamers will gather to watch one live stream and interact with one another.
Streaming platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook offer partner programs, allowing streamers to accept ad revenue and tips from their audience. Video game streamers can also earn more money from brand deals, sponsorships, and merchandise sales.
The amount of money you can make depends on your following’s size. For example, the Canadian streamer Shroud has an estimated net worth of $8-$12 million and over 10 million Twitch followers.
24. Trading and Investing in Stocks
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, a trading platform or app, stock screeners and charts, research, analytical, and risk management skills, adaptability, and patience
- Best for: those interested in profiting off of the stock market
- Potential income: varies wildly according to many factors such as interest rate, initial investment, and company’s financial condition
Becoming a stock investor is a great way to make passive income. Start by purchasing a share in a company and selling it once its value increases.
It can be tricky in the beginning. Fortunately, many blogs, podcasts, and YouTube channels offer trading advice. They often provide insights, tips, and tricks about stock trading strategies.
Popular learning sources include Collab Fund, A Wealth of Common Sense, and We Study Billionaires.
Following market news and reading trade reviews by stockbrokers can also help. Rayner Teo and WhiteBoard Finance are among the many stock trading YouTube channels to follow.
The easiest way to buy stocks is through an online stockbroker facilitating transactions:
- E*TRADE. Ideal for long-term investors looking for a zero minimum deposit. However, users must fund accounts within 30 days.
- TD Ameritrade. A commission-free trading platform with dedicated customer support.
- Fidelity Investments. Provides fractional shares, which allows investors with limited capital to participate in the stock market.
Even though this can be a good way to make money, remember that the stock market is quite volatile – the value of your investments can quickly change. If it goes down, you could lose money instead of gaining profit. Always do proper research before making investments and educate yourself on the risks of stocks.
25. Try Website Flipping
- Prerequisites: a computer or mobile device, skills and tools related to SEO, content marketing, and website design and development
- Best for: those experienced in website development and maintenance
- Potential income: varies wildly from one website to another
Buying and selling websites are conceptually simple. After purchasing a site, optimize its content for search engines, generate revenue, and sell it for a profit.
It’s an ideal money-making project for anyone who enjoys website design, improving SEO, and enhancing user experience.
However, not all websites have potential, so knowing which ones to buy and invest in is essential. A good rule of thumb is picking the ones already generating revenue and traffic.
Moreover, websites with a popular niche and a premium domain name are easier to sell at higher prices.
Here are a few marketplaces for finding websites to purchase:
- Flippa. Lets people all over the world buy and sell domain names or websites with varying niches.
- Empire Flippers. Sells profitable websites with a wide range of monthly revenues, from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- SideProjectors. A platform to buy and sell digital projects like websites, eCommerce stores, apps, and domain names.
How to Choose the Best Way to Make Money Online
After learning all 35 ways on how to make money online, it’s time to narrow down your options. To help you make a decision, evaluate the following factors:
- Effort. Consider the time you’ll spend setting up and exploring the new venture and whether you have the required skills or experience.
- Cost. Estimate whether you have the budget to start an online business.
- Interest. Don’t choose an idea just because it seems like an easy way to make money fast. It’s important to opt for a venture you are genuinely interested in.
- Potential. Recognize the monetary potential of the chosen idea and whether it can be profitable in the long run.
When picking a money-making idea to pursue, consider your skills, passion, and financial situation.
If you want to sell online, consider starting an eCommerce store. If you have a limited budget, auction second-hand clothes, sell designs, offer stock photos and videos, or adopt the dropshipping business model.
Professionals who want to monetize their skills can offer tutoring services and courses. If you’re skilled in programming, try becoming a web developer or a mobile app builder. If writing is your passion, try content writing, publish eBooks, or paid newsletters.
Become an influencer, start a podcast, create a YouTube channel, or become a video game streamer if you love engaging with an audience. Alternatively, experiment with blogging and monetize the website with ads and affiliate links to generate passive revenue.
We hope this article has helped you understand more about online money-making methods and choose the ones most suitable for you. Put your knowledge to good use, work hard, and start making money online today. Good luck!
30 Quick Ways and Long-Term Strategies to Make Money Online
how to make money online for beginners without paying anything
how to make money online for beginners 2023
how to make money online for beginners 2023
how to make money online for beginners without investment
how to make money online for beginners in nigeria
how to make money online for beginners uk
how to make money online for beginners in south africa
how to make money online for beginners for free
how to make money online for beginners in india
how to make money online for beginners in pakistan
how to make money online for beginners
how to make money online for free
make money online from home
how to make money as a teenager online?
secret websites to make money
online money-making sites
how to make money from home
how to make money online for beginners without paying anything
how to make money online for free
make money online from home
online money-making sites
secret websites to make money
how to make money as a teenager online
real ways to make money from home for free
how to make money in one hour